Photobucket Image Hosting

Monday, February 14, 2005

Mashed Eggs, Mushy Topics


Valentines day. The air in Makati changed when nightfall came. Not that it got less polluted - though I wish it did - the Valentines ambience just made it seem so. RCBC Plaza - a high-tech building with all its hotspots and sensorized escalators - had a classic look as roses and soft lights welcomed its visitors at the lobby entrance. Starbucks had a different flavor: the aroma of freshly brewed coffee was still there, but the small round tables usually topped with books or laptops are now adorned with flowers and candlelight.

My companions soon arrived one by one, and after a small chitchat, we started discussing the most incredible topic ever on Valentines day... powdered eggs.

Yes, powdered eggs. A very appropriate topic for such a day isn't it? It was actually our report for Production Management class that was due in four days -- and we were already on panic mode. So six La Salle MBA students (you can see their pictures above, talking about powdered eggs over coffee, flowers & candlelight) met on Valentines Day. For most of us, it was no big deal. But for some, the thought of a meeting on a special occasion was simply pathetic. To top it all, our discussions revolved around such an unromantic topic: EGGS.

Though mashed eggs won the floor, there was still some degree of mushiness in the meeting. One of us tagged her date along, and another came in late since she simply had to go on a date before our meeting.

The night before was even more mushy. I received a number of corny text messages (no offense to those forwarded me those Valentines greetings), five invitations to dinners and banquets (not now, I'm on a carb diet to prepare for Chayen's wedding), a confrontation with a friend who thought I was avoiding him (is this what happens when you get too busy?), and an online chat with a former classmate who, in his own words, was feeling "mushy" and "crappy," and typed in a dash of profanities that aptly described what he was feeling (too bad there is no way to filter bad words sent through YM, unlike in Ragnarok).

Well, there is really something about Valentines day that turns people into sentimental fools. Good thing my groupmates were not as sappy as some of the people I encountered the night before. Don't get me wrong -- I like discussing life and love and the lessons learned from these. But last night was simply an overdose of slushy syndromes that I'm glad our group talked about mashed eggs rather than mushy topics. Even on Valentines Day.

Posted by Hello

12 comments:

  1. I got "mushed" one time.

    I was malling with two of my friends who were soon getting married. It never occured to me that we we're not actually malling, but the two were actually looking and visiting only the stores that soon-to-be newly weds would have to buy from -- living room, dining room showcases, etc.

    Blind as a bat and clueless as I was, I tagged along like a leech for some time before I realized that I was the odd man out.

    I realized that friendship takes back seat to love and marriage.

    That moment, I thought, "Whoa! I am really old! All my friends are getting married! I won't get left behind! Never!"

    That was ten years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joni - 10 years ago? so that means you're already above 40? hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powdered eggs? Sounds interesting! What will it be for? To be mixed with water and then frozen to make homemade egg cubes (the egg as a square?!) Nice writing, Nechie. I enjoy reading your blog. :-)
    PS: Why not put a tagboard?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beng - egg cubes? great idea! we can include that in our report. are you serious you're also interested in powdered eggs? well, just click here if you want to know more about our powdered egg discussions, hehe.

    I didn't put a tagboard because I don't want an empty one on my blog, anyone can post comments though. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually read about the powdered eggs. Maybe it's what they use for just-put-some-water hotcakes and cookies then put in the oven.
    Okay, they can sell powdered eggs. But if they start selling powdered chicken (and I'm not just talking about Knorr cubes), I'm protesting. I want my chicken real--always. :-)[I once read about an article about some farms breeding 3-legged chicken, just to meet the demand for drumsticks. Turns out it was a bogus report. I think.]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beng, I just realized how funny this is... imagine, even comments on my Valentines blog entry is about powdered eggs. hahaha! Again, "mashed eggs won the floor."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still go for green eggs and ham, the sham that I am. I'm never far away from eggs because a few feet from my room is my father's aviary of chickens. He keeps those really big ones -- Israeli Khber I think, and those small ones as small as pigeons -- Bantams he calls them. Then, we have the regular natives and leghorns and sometimes some Cantonese (I think) but we had to eat them because they always caused one of the barn residents "unexpected deaths." I do suspect that I smell like a chicken from being at close proximity. Though you'd also suspect that you are somehow immune to that smell from being close to them. Anyway, I'm never at a party so I won't offend anyone within smelling range.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joni -- sometimes I find myself guessing if the articles in your blog, and your comments in mine, are fictitious or not -- knowing the published writer that you are and your tendency to live in your own virtual world (as I can tell from your writings). So is this recent comment real or reel? just curious, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of it is true -- unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, in that case, then bring over your chickens that lay the green eggs ... my groupmates and I can partner with you and start a green powdered egg business. besides, our professor recommended that we be a little more adventurous with our product by putting some color on the eggs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's what I like about graduate school -- it challenges you to be more resourceful and better than you thought you could be. Plus, if you get good grades, you'll be doubly happy because you know you've competed with the best of the best of the corporate world. Although, there's really a big price to pay -- finances, time off from watching really significant and intelligent TV shows like Mulawin, Krystala and Lovers in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, that's why my classmates are always eager to go home after class so we can watch Lovers in Paris. The two rival networks are full of love triangle these days -- started with Deither-Kristine-Jericho, followed by Richard-Regine-Ariel, and now this Korean trio ... forgot their names... I only watched it once, I think I had enough of triangles (and I never really liked trigonometry). hehe

    ReplyDelete