Photobucket Image Hosting

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

A 3-year-old unpublished post

I was checking my blogger account and found out that I had unpublished drafts dating back as far as three years ago. It was quite a find. Here's one that I can't believe I actually wrote... It was dated February 15, 2006, the day after valentines day. It's mere profundity has caused me to doubt if I were the writer. I guess, my preoccupation with business and learning has made me less introspective and more focused on the external environment. But now that I have unearthed such post from my unpublished list, I thought that it is time to share it. And so, here it is, my after-valentines thoughts almost three years ago.


-------------------------------------------
February 15, 2006


A deluge of text messages filled up my cell phone inbox – all quotations about love, trying to define its nature, and trying to explain its characteristics. But none has provoked my thoughts more than this particular message:

“Sometimes I wonder if, instead of falling madly in love,
we should aspire to fall sanely in love.
But then, what would be the point?”
– Jessica Zafra

My initial reaction? “I’d always choose sanity over madness," I said, "even when it comes to love.”

Perhaps it is because of my realistic inclinations and pragamatic attitude that made me form an ideal picture of how I should love: Use your head before your heart. Be more logical, less emotional. Love within reason.

But is love really reasonable? Is it closely connected with logic?

This morning, I saw men line up at a small flower shop just to buy roses – their neatly-ironed barongs turn into a mess of crumples as they try to negotiate their way through a crowd for one small thing: a not-so-rare flower that, with the commercialization of Valentines Day, has become more expensive than clothes. They know it will wilt in a day's time, but nonetheless, they spend two to three days worth of salary for a day's worth of fleeting happiness for their loved one. Reasonable?

Last night, I watched TV documentary about a man who works so hard for such a small amount. And at the end of the day, exhausted and hungry, he takes his pay back home, then spends all his hard-earned money to feed his children until they are satisfied. Even if there will be no food left for himself. Logical?

Several years ago, I learned of our rebellion to our Creator. All-powerful and holy, he could have chosen to annihilate us and make sin disappear from all of his creation. But instead, he sent his son to leave the richness and splendor of his kingdom, to live in the world with us sinful rebels, and take the blame and punishment for our sin – which involved great suffering and a criminal’s execution – so that we may be able to enter his kingdom, where mansions and crowns await us.

Sane??

The greatest of loves is always the most incomprehensible. Love itself cannot be accurately defined nor explained. It is beyond the emotions of the heart. It transcends the logic and reason of the mind. It is both madness and sanity. It is as unfathomable as the One who invented it.

Love is God. God is Love.

That is the only accurate definition I could ever find. And that is the only explanation that makes enough sense for me to understand it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, why did it take this long for us to see this treasure of an entry? And we almost didn't see it. Good thing you published it, albeit 3 years later.
    This made me think if I had some long-forgotten drafts I should unearth soon.

    ReplyDelete